Show Your Support for Health Care Reform and Free Give-Away

Health ForumSupport for health care reform is growing. The current bill would end denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions, to help curb costs would also require all Americans to get coverage, and it has measures to try to reduce overall medical costs. The news is abuzz with new-found support for the bill including:

  • Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) didn’t originally vote for the bill back in November because he wanted a public option, but he said this week that he would support the bill this time around.
  • Nearly 60,000 nuns sent a letter to Congress urging them to pass this bill. Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of a national Catholic social activism lobby said, “We are the ones who work every day with people who are suffering because they don’t have health care. We cannot turn our backs on them, so for us, health care reform is a faith-based response to human need.”
  • Rep. Dale Kildee (D-MI) didn’t support the bill in November, but has committed to support it this time around.
  • Rep. Bart Gordon, (D-TN), originally opposed the bill but now supports it
  • Rep. Betsy Markey, (D-CO), has indicated recent support after originally opposing it.

The next step in this process is that the House of Representatives has to approve the bill that was passed by the Senate and right now, they’re still short of the 216 votes needed. And both sides are pushing. The question is, what do you want?

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, “Obamanomics: Trickle Up Poverty.” I wonder if this person realizes that the richest 1% of people in America now make more than the other 99% combined. And they pay less taxes than they used to. In 1980 the richest in our country paid 70% in taxes, but today they make more than ever and pay around 30%. At the same time, middle America has seen a decrease in salary and an increase in debt. And health care has become more expensive and is expected to nearly double again unless we do something about it. We keep hearing some members of Congress say that we have the best health care system in the world. It probably is for those who can afford it. I’ve heard others ask about care rationing with the new bill. The thing is, we already have care rationing right now. There are nearly 50 million Americans who are uninsured and over 40,000 who are dying each year as a result. That is care rationing based on income. It sounds like a little trickle up poverty is warranted.

I know of a woman who was recently laid off from her job and because she has a pre-existing condition cannot get health insurance independently. She is now at the end of her rope on COBRA and fearful that she will have to lose her house to be able to afford health insurance. There are stories like this everywhere. It is time that “we the people” have courage to speak up about it.

Today is your chance to make a difference. Wear your HealthStrong wristband to show your support for health care reform! Or call your Congressional representative to ask them to support health care reform. I called my representative and it felt great to know I was doing my part.  For those who call their representative and leave a comment, for today only, I’ll send you a HealthStrong wristband for free (while supplies last)!

Comment or Reply